Professional Experience Year (PEY) is the largest undergraduate paid internship program in Canada. Students apply their skills in a project-based professional environment during a 12 to 16 month work placement.
We encourage all computer science students to consider PEY!
PEY can help you understand your strengths and interests and use these learning outcomes to fine-tune your career goals. After PEY, you will know which jobs to pursue – even if it's with your PEY placement – and your experience and references will help you in your job search after graduation. PEY also has academic value, as it meets the Integrative, Inquiry-Based Activity (IIA) requirements in the Computer Science Specialist and Major.
More than 120 computer science students participated in PEY at over 60 companies including:
Average PEY salary: $47,000 and above
HOW TO APPLY
Note: Application to PEY is administered through the Engineering Career Centre (ECC)
- Attend a PEY Information Session offered in September
- Read the PEY Student Guides
- If you decide to participate, register online through the ECC Portal
- Apply to jobs via the ECC Portal
- Participate in PEY developmental workshops and attend individual appointments (e.g. cover letter, résumé, interview preparation)
- Attend interview(s)
- Receive job offer(s)
- Accept/Decline offer(s)
- Begin internship
- Complete internship: 12 to 16 months
- Return to school to finish degree
If you're a prospective company who wishes to hire a qualified computer science student for a 12 to 16 month PEY placement, please contact the ECC.