Applications for MSc and PhD study (starting in September 2019) are closed.
Selecting your Area of Research for Admission
Our faculty cover a broad range of research areas. You will be required during your application to indicate which research interest you would like to pursue during your graduate studies. You will be asked to select one of the research interests as your primary area of interest, and you may optionally select a secondary research interest.
MSc and PhD Student Supervision
Supervisors advise on course and research topic selection and provide continuing help during the research process. All MSc and PhD students are required to consult frequently with their supervisors throughout their graduate studies, to report on their progress and direction and to obtain advice.
During our application review, faculty supervisors make acceptances based on the applicant’s statement of purpose. Feel free to name the faculty member(s) you are eager to work with in your statement of purpose.
- Before registration: You will be assigned a supervisor or research group.
- By the end of your first year: You will be assigned a primary supervisor.
- By the end of your sixteenth month: PhD students should have their supervisory committee in place.
Computer Science courses are classified by both Methodologies and Research Areas based on their content. Methodologies are core problem-solving approaches and/or techniques and general tools emphasized in the course material, while Research Areas are aligned with the activities of the various research groups in the department.
If you enter into the graduate program from another university, you may request transfer credit for courses as long as they were not used toward the requirements of another degree, diploma, certificate or any other qualification.
- MSc and PhD students: Four half-courses for each degree that meet the breadth requirements.
- However, if you are admitted directly to the PhD program from a bachelor’s degree, you will have to complete eight courses that satisfy both the MSc and PhD breadth requirements.
We offer some of the most attractive funding packages, with:
- A strong funding guarantee for
- Up to 17 months for MSc
- 43-48 months for PhD
- 60 months for direct-entry PhD from bachelor's
- Competitive admissions awards for students entering our programs.
- Significant financial top-ups for scholarship holders.
Tuition is included in the funding package.
To learn more, visit our MSc and PhD Funding and Tuition page.
For details regarding entrance awards for prospective students, visit the Entrance Awards page.