Professional Experience Year Co-op Program is the largest program of its kind in Canada.
The PEY Co-op is an (optional) opportunity to work full time for an employer of your choosing for 12 to 16 consecutive months after second or third year. As a PEY Co-op student, you can apply to as many positions as you want, and only accept the job offer that aligns with your goals. Positions are paid and U of T computer science students earn an average of approximately $49,000 annually, with top salaries reaching over $80,000 in 12 months.
Through PEY Co-op, you can focus on professional development without needing to switch between work and school each semester. Participating in PEY Co-op can help you understand your strengths and interests and use these learning outcomes to fine-tune your career goals and negotiate a higher post-graduation salary based on your experience.
In 2017/18, 237 computer science students secured PEY Co-op positions at over 90 companies, including:
HOW TO APPLY
Note: Application to PEY Co-op Program is administered through the Engineering Career Centre (ECC)
- Attend a PEY Co-op Information Session offered in September
- Read the PEY Co-op Student Guides
- If you decide to participate, register online through the ECC Portal
- Apply to jobs via the ECC Portal
- Participate in PEY Co-op developmental workshops and attend individual appointments (e.g. cover letter, résumé, interview preparation)
- Attend interview(s)
- Receive job offer(s)
- Accept/Decline offer(s)
- Begin internship
- Complete internship: 12 to 16 months
- Return to school, usually starting in September, to finish degree
If you're a prospective company who wishes to hire a qualified computer science student for a 12 to 16 month PEY Co-op, please contact the ECC.