Prospective MScAC students
Are you an innovator with an interest in technical entrepreneurship and advanced computer science?
Our Master of Science in Applied Computing (MScAC) degree program prepares students for life-long success as technical leaders in information technology. The program combines eight months of advanced courses in computer science studying with Canada's leading researchers, followed by an eight month paid internship working at an information technology company. You apply research results to real-world problems. Our students have interned with many exciting local and international technology companies including Addictive Mobility, Amazon Canada, Blackberry, Epson, Google Canada, IBM Canada and more.
- Click here for a brochure of recent MScAC projects (PDF)
- CSC2701 (Communication for Computer Scientists)
- CSC2702 (Technical Entrepreneurship)
- Any four electives in the Department of Computer Science
- Please note course offerings may vary from year to year
APPLICATION AND ADMISSION
- We accept MScAC applications for full-time study only.
- Applicants must have an appropriate undergraduate degree in computer science or a related discipline with a minimum GPA of B+ (77-79%) in the final year (i.e. two terms) of full-time of study (the equivalent of 5 full credits, or 10 half credits).
- For information on degree equivalencies, please use the University's International Degree Equivalencies Tool.
- Significant work experience (including co-op placements or internships) is preferred, but not required.
APPLY NOW FOR 2015-16
- Please read our FAQ page before starting your application process.
- Applicants must first apply directly to the University of Toronto through the School of Graduate Studies (SGS).
- While applicants may apply to both the MSc and MScAC program, separate applications are required.
- Within 1 to 2 business days of paying the SGS application fee, you will receive an email with login details for the graduate application system for the Department of Computer Science (DCS).
- This email message will be sent to the email provided to SGS.
- On the DCS application you must include a statement of purpose and three letters of support from faculty and/or employers.
- For detailed admission procedures, visit Information for Graduate Applicants.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants whose primary language is not English and who have graduated from a university where the primary language of instruction is not English must achieve a TOEFL score of at least 580 on the paper-based test and 4 on the TWE; 237 on the computer-based test and 4 on the essay writing component; 93/120 on the Internet-based test, and 22/30 on the writing and speaking sections. If TOEFL scores are required, your MScAC application is not complete until successful scores have been submitted.
For the September 2015 program start date, tuition and fees for the entire 16-month program is estimated at $17,500 CDN for domestic students (Canadian citizens and permanent residents) and $39,000 CDN for international students. We expect, but cannot guarantee, that tuition costs will be more than offset by internship salaries.
Prospective Industry partners
If your company is already familiar with the undergraduate Professional Experience Year (PEY) program, our MScAC offers a unique opportunity to engage with a highly experienced graduate student and faculty member.
An MScAC student, industry partner and faculty supervisor will work together to determine the hands-on needs of a project, from its inception to completion, managed over an intensive eight-month internship.
Together, we prepare students for life-long success as technical leaders in information technology.
- Click here for a brochure outlining the program for industry (PDF).
Prospective industry partners interested in accessing the catalogue may contact MScAC program Director for further information.
Master of Science in Applied Computing
Deptartment of Computer Science | University of Toronto
40 St. George Street | Office: 4242
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2E4
Tel: 416.978-8762 | Fax: 416.946 7132