All undergraduates (Specialists and Majors) and graduate students (MSc, MScAC and PhD) in the Department of Computer Science will have their degrees conferred on Friday, June 19 at 10 a.m. This first-ever Computer Science convocation was organized in recognition of the Department’s 50th anniversary celebrations.
As part of the ceremony, Maria Klawe, former DCS faculty member and current Harvey Mudd College president, will address the class and receive an honorary degree from the University. Klawe is a renowned computer scientist, mathematician and internationally-recognized advocate for women in science, technology, engineering and math.
A reception for you and your guests will follow in the Convocation Plaza (tent outside Convocation Hall) following the ceremony.
Please take note of the following Graduation Checklist for Computer Science graduands:
- To attend the ceremony, you must first order academic regalia (gown and hood) online (https://www.buildagrad.ca/utoronto) from May 4 to May 19.
- Take note of the gown rental ID (5 digit alphanumeric code found in the confirmation email from Gaspard LP - Regalia Order). You will need it to RSVP and request tickets.
- To RSVP and request tickets, visit http://uoft.me/CS-convocation-2015 (after ordering your gown & hood) from May 4 to May 19.
- All computer science graduands will be guaranteed up to three (3) guest tickets. You may request up to three (3) additional tickets for a maximum of six (6). Extra tickets will be confirmed upon pick-up.
- Tickets are available for pick-up from May 20 to June 18 from the Undergraduate/Graduate Office reception in Bahen Centre (40 St. George Street) from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., weekdays.
- Only the graduand can collect tickets with student ID – do not send family or friends on your behalf as tickets will not be released to them. Regrettably, we do not offer a mailing service.
- If you are a graduand requiring an accommodation (e.g. sign interpreter; wheelchair seating) please contact the Office of Convocation at firstname.lastname@example.org (please include your student number if emailing) or by telephone at (416) 978-3629 by May 1 to make the necessary arrangements.
- If you have a guest(s) requiring accommodation, please indicate this on the online RSVP and ticket form so that we may accommodate your guests. For questions about accommodations for your guests please contact the Office of Convocation at email@example.com (please include your student number if emailing).
DAY OF CONVOCATION:
You and your guests are invited to join Department of Computer Science classmates and faculty members for a celebration at Convocation Plaza (tent outside of Convocation Hall).
- Please ensure that your guests have their tickets as lost tickets cannot be replaced. Guests without tickets will not be admitted into Convocation Hall.
- For those who have not picked up their tickets in advance, tickets will be available for pick-up in Simcoe Hall (lobby). Simcoe Hall is attached to Convocation Hall. You will require a student card to pick-up your tickets. Please be advised that only the graduate can pick up his/her guest tickets. Please do not send an alternate.
- Arrive at University College at least ninety minutes prior to the ceremony (please allow more time if you have not yet picked up your guest tickets) to pick up your gown & hood. It is recommended that you leave personal items (purses, coats, cameras) with your guests. There is no secure storage space in University College and all the items you bring must then be carried to Convocation Hall and you’ll need to hold onto these items throughout the proceedings.
- After you pick-up your gown & hood, meet in the marshalling rooms in University College one hour and fifteen minutes before your ceremony to join the graduating student procession.
NOTE: To ensure your participation in the ceremony, please arrive by the times provided. Due to the complex arrangements involved in arranging a successful ceremony, if you arrive late there is no guarantee that you will be able to join the ceremony.
- Please return your gown & hood following your convocation ceremony to avoid additional charges.
If you have any questions, please contact communications [at] cs [dot] toronto [dot] edu.