Professor Geoffrey Hinton, vice-president engineering fellow at Google, has been described as the 'godfather of deep learning.'
Hinton has mentored more than 30 doctoral students and has supervised many more post docs, master’s students and undergrads. Several of these computer scientists have gone on to become leaders in the field of machine learning in their own right. Below is a shortlist of just some of the many AI researchers Hinton has influenced:
- Professor Brendan Frey (PhD 1997), Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) and president and CEO, Deep Genomics
- Yann LeCun (post-doc), Director of AI research, Facebook
- Associate Professor Ruslan Salakhutdinov (PhD 2009), Carnegie Mellon University and director of AI research, Apple
- Ilya Sutskever (PhD 2013), director of research, OpenAI
- Professor Richard Zemel (PhD 1993), Department of Computer Science and co-founder and CIO of SmartFinance
Read the full story at U of T News